On June 19, 1950, the following members of the Berlin-Ivor Community met in the Ivor Town Hall to organize a fire Department.
Charter Active Members Charter Honorary Members
Warren Cobb Robert Pulley W. B. Smith
Waverly Owney John E Bailey L. H. Babb
Lester Pittman James Clark F. T. Joyner
J. H. Jackson Jack Kitchen L. A. Brantley
Henderson Pittman Gus Downing Paul Branch
Fred Ashby Julian Felts Thomas Pulley
John Hall John Faircloth, Jr. J. T. Faircloth, Sr.
Walter Saunders Russell West E. M. Babb
Jim Clark E. Peyton Kea Charlie Ramsey
Roy Cornwell Gernie Britt H. S. Boone
Marvin Pulley Narvie Britt R. J. Kitchen
Shelly Doles Thomas Beale H. S. Saunders
John Jones Shelton Babb Winston Camp
E. W. Pittman Robert Rawls Henley Johnson
E. V. Stephenson, Jr. J. B. Holcomb Bill Johnson
Leroy Bracey G. C. Powell Jr. Tommie Hancock
Robert Kitchen Paige Pulley
Aurbery Raiford Watkin Johnson
This group of charter members elected the following officers to serve the fire department.
President – E. W. Pittman, Secretary--E. V. Stephenson, Jr
1st VP --Russell West Treasurer—H. S. Boone
2nd VP-- Julian Felts
John Faircloth, Jr., Leroy Bracey, Marvin Pulley, Charlie Ramsey, and L. H. Babb were appointed to serve as the Finance Committee. Motion was moved and seconded that officers of the fire department bring a slate of names to the next meeting naming a Fire Chief and Assistant Fire Chief for the groups consideration. Motion made and seconded that President call the next meeting. At this point our first meeting of an organized Fire Department was adjourned. (These were the actual minutes of the first meeting)
On August 17, 1950, Fred Ashby was chosen Fire Chief and J. E. Clarke, Sr. was chosen Assistant Fire Chief. The task of raising funds, finding a building, obtaining needed equipment and developing By-laws was underway. It was moved and seconded that the official name of the newly formed fire department would be the IVOR VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT.
In 1951, the department purchased their first engine from Oren Roanoke Corp. in Roanoke, VA. This engine was a 1951 Ford with a 500 gallon tank and a 250 gpm pump and was housed in a garage behind the old Kitchen Service Station on Main Street until a building could be built.
The department moved in their first building on Railroad Ave in 1952. The two bays on the right were the original building. In 1958, members added two more bays, a kitchen and a large meeting room.
Our present station was built in 1987. The department officially moved in on our meeting night, December 9, 1987
|2018||% of Calls|
|Paul Kea, Jr||44%|
To preserve and protect the lives and property of the residents and visitors of our community, as well as our surrounding communities.